On October 6th, Canada will celebrate its first ever Green Sports Day. On this special day, we welcome the Canadian sport community into a national conversation about how the sport sector can become more sustainable, and lead on climate. Green Sports Day presents an incredible opportunity for the Canadian sports community to take stock of its achievements and progress toward climate goals, and to recommit to sustainability moving forward.
Our GOALS are to:
- Accelerate a conversation on sustainable sport an climate action.
- Educate the Canadian sports community on best practices for sustainable sport.
- Celebrate the work being done to “green” the sports sector.
The inaugural Green Sports Day in Canada will convene sports people (athletes, coaches), sports federations, professional sports franchises and leagues, amateur sport organizations, sponsors, and supporters, in a half-day virtual summit and social media campaign.
Green Sports Day is an event originated by the Green Sports Alliance in the US. In 2016, the event gained recognition by the Obama Administration, and has since ballooned into an international annual event. This year will be an interesting year for Green Sports Day as it adds Canada, Colombia, Australia, and Peru to this list of countries celebrating.
- Join us October 6th for a half day virtual summit
- FREE and open to the public
- Help us celebrate the day on social media, using the hashtag #greensportsday
- (Downloadable images will be available on the greensportsverts.ca website by October 1)
More information is available on www.greensportsverts.ca.
Climate action is a team sport. Welcome to the team!
– The Steering Committee