Apply for the Coaching Education Program with Game Plan
Game Plan and the Coaching Association Canada (CAC) are excited to announce that the fall application is now open! They are looking to support athletes with up to $1000, who are looking to coach in the Competition-Development stream (Comp-Dev) or the Advanced Coaching Diploma (ACD) program as part of the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP). This will be available for athletes who are still competing or within 2 years of retirement as per Game Plan eligibility.
Goals of the program:
- Expose athletes to National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) coach education
- Expose athletes to a career in coaching
- Recruit coaches from within the sport system
- Develop a relationship between, Game Plan, CAC, NSOs, COC & CPC, to keep athletes and alumni in the sport system
Must Read: Getting to Know Team Canada Athletes
Over the last few weeks, we have heard some incredible stories of triumph, challenge, and adversity of Team Canada. Make sure you check out the below athlete’s point of view pieces currently on olympic.ca.
“For me, accepting who I am is a priority, and nobody can make me feel bad about that”
- Brandon McBride discusses his experience with racism and the discrimination that BIPOC athletes face
“It starts with acknowledging these things are happening. Acknowledging that there’s racism present in Canada, in sport.”
“It’s hard to stay positive in times like these, but I think something that we are really, really passionate about is how badly we want to win gold at the Olympics. That continues to motivate us every single day.”
You’re Invited: A Conversation with Dr. Mike Wilkinson
The Canadian Olympic Foundation is pleased to invite you to their upcoming live webinar, A Conversation with Dr. Mike Wilkinson on Wednesday September 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM EST.
Dr. Wilkinson is presently the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for the Canadian Olympic Committee and the Canadian Rowing team. He has been to eight Olympic and Pan Am Games as medical lead, with his most recent Games being Lima 2019 and PyeongChang 2018 as the Canadian CMO. During this 1-hour webinar, you’ll learn about Dr. Mike, from his upbringing in South Africa, his journey to a career in sport medicine, his role as Director of Medical Services at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, and what it means to be the CMO for Team Canada.
You must register in advance, as spots are limited. Click here to register.
Delivering Your Olympian Legacy
WOA and Athlete365 have teamed up to bring you an exclusive webinar about how to use the power of your Olympian legacy. Registration is now open for “Delivering your Olympian legacy” which starts at 15:00 CET next Tuesday September 1st.
The two main speakers are:
- Chris Stokes OLY – Chris is an experienced Olympian, having represented Jamaica in bobsleigh at four editions of the Olympic Winter Games including the memorable Olympic Winter Games Calgary 1988 shown in the ‘Cool Runnings’ film. Chris has also authored a book detailing the true and authentic achievements of the Jamaica Bobsleigh Teams. He is now on the board of the Jamaica Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation and of Jamaica’s Olympians Association, working with Jamaican athletes and Olympians to create positive legacies in his country.
- Akiko Thomson-Guevara OLY – Akiko competed in swimming at three editions of the Olympic Games for the Philippines and is now the President of the Philippines Olympians Association. She has also received several WOA grants, which are awarded to help fund projects that promote the Olympic ideals and either serve the needs of Olympians or of their communities.
Sign up for free HERE to participate in the latest Athlete365 webinar held in partnership with WOA, which will be facilitated by regular host Jeanette Kwakye OLY.