’TIS THE SEASON FOR REFLECTION
In sport, moving forward is what we do. But to see clearly what’s ahead, we sometimes need a long look back.
That time is now.
Sure, reflection is already a big part of our goal-oriented lives as we constantly ask ourselves: What went wrong? What went right? Where can I gain a competitive edge? We improve. We focus. We move forward. The minute-to-minute of it all is alluring and rewarding. But, if we don’t take the time to step back and understand its bigger lessons, the way forward can be a challenge.
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” — Ferris Bueller
It’s easier said than done, no doubt, especially during the holidays. The end of each year can feel crazy; balancing schedules, dedicating time with family and friends, many of us juggling the demands of a competition season. However, by using the transition into a new calendar year as an opportunity to reflect on our highs and lows, our successes and ways to improve, we can prepare for it with a renewed, big-picture confidence.
Here are 6 questions to regard while reflecting on 2018 with a tight focus on your Olympic goals.
- How do the lessons I learned in 2018 apply to my performance goals at Games?
- What part of my daily routine is best preparing me for my unique performance at Games?
- What lessons from 2018 do I share with everyone on my team?
- What conversations am I avoiding that I need to have to help my team improve as a whole?
- What were my biggest roadblocks in 2018?
- What contributions will I re-prioritize in 2019, so that I am aligned on Olympic journey?
As you reflect on 2018 and look toward 2019, below are some resources to help you grow and evolve to the person that you are actively trying to change into:
Indeed, the holiday season is about much more than your goals, your plans and your individual future. Sharing time with family and friends is invaluable, even precious. It’s in those moments, we hope you can take the time to pause and reflect on your purpose and everything it means for you and those around you as we move into 2019 together.