The International Olympic Academy (IOA) unites the world’s most vibrant young leaders in sport and physical activity. The aim of the IOA is to educate and to motivate young people to use their experiences and knowledge to promote Olympic ideals. Every year, the IOA brings together a large international group of young people for a two-week session designed as an introduction to Olympism and the Olympic Movement. These International Sessions for Young Participants are a forum for free expression and exchange of ideas, as well as a stimulating academic environment. The 2020 session will take place from May 23- June 3, 2020 in Athens, Greece and will focus on “Olympism and Humanism with a special look at the Olympic Games: Human rights, diversity and inclusion in sport”.
In previous years, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) has nominated up to three representatives to participate in the annual IOA Young Participants Session. This year, due to recent renovations occurring on the premise in Ancient Olympia, the IOA has reduced the number of participants compared to previous years. Thus, the COC will only be nominating 1 representative for the 2020 Session. The application of Team Canada Olympians, COC employees and members of the Canadian sport community are strongly encouraged. Ideal candidates exhibit leadership, knowledge of and enthusiasm for the development of sport and physical activity. If you are between the ages of 20 and 35 and are interested in the topic and the opportunity, we encourage you to further review the list of qualifications and the application process outlined below.
The ideal candidate:
- Is a strong representative of the Canadian Olympic Team
- Has a diverse portfolio of experience in the Canadian sport system and Olympic Movement
- Acknowledges and personifies the Olympic values
- Demonstrates familiarity with the Canadian Olympic Movement, the COC education programs, and/or this year’s topic
- Possesses the ability to advance the Canadian Olympic Movement in their immediate sphere of influence
- Demonstrates a strong connection to the Olympic Movement and/or Canadian Sport System
- Demonstrates an understanding of the role of Olympic Education in advancing the Canadian Olympic Movement
Objectives of the delegates selected:
- Maximize the IOA experience for Canadians and the COC
- Educate Canadians on the IOA and Canadian Olympic Education initiatives
- Increase exposure of Canadian participation at the IOA
- Explore various ways in which we can communicate the Olympic values
- Inspire understanding and awareness of the Olympic values
- Spread Olympism throughout Canada
All applications are due 5 p.m. EST Tuesday, March 3, 2020. Travel and accommodation for the selected representatives will be covered.
Your application will be evaluated by a selection committee comprising of members of the Sport Community, COC staff who have attended IOA sessions in the past, as well as a COC Human Resources representative.
If you have any questions regarding the IOA Young Participants session, please contact Lisa Muzzo – Specialist, Olympic Education (email@example.com).