The International Olympic Academy (IOA) unites the world’s most vibrant young leaders in sport and physical activity. The aim of the IOA is to educate and to motivate young people to use their experiences and knowledge to promote Olympic ideals. Every year, the IOA brings together a large international group of young people for a two-week session designed as an introduction to Olympism and the Olympic Movement. These International Sessions for Young Participants are a forum for free expression and exchange of ideas, as well as a stimulating academic environment.
The 2019 session will take place from June 1st to 15th in Athens, Greece and will focus on Olympic Legacy. The main topic this year is Diplomacy and Peace: How can Olympic Sports play a positive role in International Diplomacy?
The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) will be nominating up to three representatives to participate in the annual IOA Young Participants Session. One (1) Team Canada Olympian will be selected to this group of Canadian ambassadors. A COC employee and a member of the Canadian sport community will be selected to fill the remaining two spots. Ideal candidates exhibit leadership, knowledge of and enthusiasm for the development of sport and physical activity. If you are between the ages of 20 and 35 and are interested in the topic and the opportunity, we encourage you to further review the list of qualifications and the application process outlined below.
The ideal candidate:
• Is a strong representative of the Canadian Olympic Team
• Has a diverse portfolio of experience in the Canadian sport system and Olympic Movement
• Acknowledges and personifies the Olympic values
• Demonstrates familiarity with the Canadian Olympic Movement, the COC education programs, and/or this year’s topic (Diplomacy and Peace)
• Possesses the ability to advance the Canadian Olympic Movement in their immediate sphere of influence
• Demonstrates a strong connection to the Olympic Movement and/or Canadian Sport System
• Demonstrates an understanding of the role of Olympic Education in advancing the Canadian Olympic Movement
Objectives of the delegates selected:
• Maximize the IOA experience for Canadians and the COC
• Educate Canadians on the IOA and Canadian Olympic Education initiatives
• Increase exposure of Canadian participation at the IOA
• Explore various ways in which we can communicate the Olympic values
• Inspire understanding and awareness of the Olympic values
• Spread Olympism throughout Canada
All applications are due 5 p.m. EST Thursday, February 14, 2019. Travel and accommodation for the selected representatives will be covered.
Your application will be evaluated by a selection committee comprising of members of the Sport Community, COC staff who have attended IOA sessions in the past, as well as a COC Human Resources representative.
If you have any questions regarding the IOA Young Participants session, please contact Sandra Sassine, Program Manager, Olympic Education (email@example.com).
We also invite you to spread the word about this unique opportunity on your social media platforms.
Facebook sample post:
The COC will be sending three representatives between the ages of 20 and 35 to Olympia, Greece to participate in the annual Young Participants Session at the International Olympic Academy (IOA). Ideal candidates will exhibit leadership, knowledge and enthusiasm for the development of sport and physical activity. Submit your online application by February 14th. http://cot.formstack.com/forms/2019_international_olympic_academy_application_form
Twitter sample post:
Join young leaders in sport from all over the world at the International Olympic Academy. Submit your application: http://cot.formstack.com/forms/2019_international_olympic_academy_application_form
Carry Your Legacy.